Mohamed Moustafa and Nessrin Abu-Elenein, Mariam's parents, at their home in Nottingham Mohamed Moustafa and Nessrin Abu-Elenein, Mariam’s parents, at their home in NottinghamCredit: Stefan Rousseau/PA The case can be reported today after restrictions were lifted.Mr Moustafa, 51. who lives in Nottingham, insisted there was “strong evidence” the defendants should have been tried on more serious charges.”It is not what we expected,” he said. “It’s unfair and unjust to charge those whom killed or, at least by their actions, led to (Mariam’s) death with such minor offences.”It is very weak. It is not fair at all.”He described the failure to inform him of last week’s hearing as “another failure in the case of our daughter”.“This very simple right was taken from us,” he said.A CPS spokesman said: “We have worked closely with the police to make sure Mr Moustafa has been kept updated throughout this process and are deeply sorry this didn’t happen on this particular occasion. We have contacted him to offer a full explanation.”We have also met with Mr Moustafa to explain the charge of affray, the CPS can only charge if the evidential stage of our tests for prosecution are met.”The teenagers will be sentenced at a later date. The father of a student whose death caused a diplomatic row with Egypt has voiced disbelief that the six teenagers arrested over her attack have only been convicted of affray.Mohamed Moustafa also expressed fury that he was not informed about a court hearing in which three of his daughter’s attackers admitted their part in the violent assault.Mariam Moustafa, 18, an engineering student, was punched several times and dragged 20 metres by a group of girls as she waited for a bus in Nottingham city centre last February.The girls followed her on board and continued the attack until she lost consciousness, her family said.Mariam was initially treated and discharged from The Queen’s Medical Centre, but was rushed to Nottingham City Hospital the next day, where she died after 12 days in a coma.The incident sparked outrage in Egypt, where the prosecutor-general was said to have requested information about the British investigation into her death. Six teenagers were charged with affray and three admitted the charge at Nottingham Youth Court last year.But three denied it and were due to stand trial last week.However, Mariah Fraser, 19, Britania Hunter, 18, and a 16-year-old girl, admitted their part in the attack before Judge Gregory Dickinson QC on April 16. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.

Mariam Moustafa death Six teenagers admit affray as father describes sentence as
Tagged on:                                     

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *