Wexford are the three-time Leinster champions and will be looking for the likes of Conor McDonald and Liam Ryan to help them to a winning start to their title defence.Throw-in at Innovate Wexford Park is at half-past seven.
The electoral committee of the Nigeria football federation headed by Amoni Biambo has been accused of hoarding electoral forms and favouring certain candidates, as the August 26 NFF elections fast approaches.Some disgruntled aspirants for positions in the next NFF board have been speaking on the condition of anonymity of how it has been impossible for them to obtain election forms from the electoral committee.Of course, it hasn’t been plain sailing for Nigerian football over the last month, with crisis rocking theNigeria football federation, eventually culminating in a FIFA suspension, and then the impeachment of Aminu Maigari as president of the Nigeria Football Federation.One aspirant said, “It has been difficult to get the forms and it is clear that they are working on a script. Some individuals are being favoured because those individuals have since gotten their forms whereas people like me are yet to get it,” he said.Similarly, executive board member of the present NFF board and also a member of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, Suleiman Kwande have expressed disappointment at the development. He said, “I haven’t got the form and you can imagine how difficult it will be for some other person out there who wants to purchase the form also.“Despite me being a member of the current board, and also a serving member of the Federal House of Representatives, it has been difficult,” he Monday morning.No official reasons have been given for the delay in the release of the forms, but insinuations are rife that ‘certain elements’ are being ‘prevented’ from winning seats into the glass house.The date for the elections remain unchanged as communicated by the NFF, but will now hold in Nigeria’s capital of Abuja, and no longer Warri, in Delta State.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error LOS ANGELES — Nearly a month after reaching agreement on a five-year, $80 million contract, the Dodgers made the signing of Kenley Jansen official Tuesday afternoon.The delay in announcing the signing was most likely related to the need to clear a spot on the 40-man roster before adding Jansen — and the extended attempt to trade for a second baseman, namely Minnesota’s Brian Dozier. Those trade talks seem to have reached a stalemate.In order to add Jansen to the roster, the Dodgers designated infielder Micah Johnson for assignment.Johnson, 26, was acquired along with outfielder Trayce Thompson and right-hander Frankie Montas in a three-way trade among the Dodgers, White Sox and Reds last winter. Johnson spent nearly all of the 2016 season with Triple-A Oklahoma City, batting .261 in 120 games and leading the OKC Dodgers in stolen bases (26) and runs scored (72). Johnson did appear in seven big-league games last year, going 1 for 6 with the Dodgers.He could still return to the Dodgers if he clears waivers. But the DFA likely eliminates him from the crowd-sourcing approach that might fill the Dodgers’ vacancy at second base if Dozier (or another full-time solution) is not acquired. Kike’ Hernandez, Charlie Culberson and Chris Taylor are the current candidates. Incumbent Chase Utley also a possibility, but the 38-year-old veteran is a free agent.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “It (MLB Network) is on in my office. Usually, I have games on. As opposed to sitting and listening to people talking about what might or might not happen, I’d rather watch a real baseball game.”BUEHLER BACKRight-hander Walker Buehler emerged from his bullpen session feeling good enough to hop on a plane to Oklahoma City on Wednesday.Buehler is scheduled to pitch three innings for Triple-A OKC on Thursday, his first game action since going on the DL almost three weeks ago with a microfracture in a rib on his right side. The injury actually stems from being hit in the ribs by a line drive on May 21, but Buehler made three starts before going on the DL before an examination discovered the microfracture.Recent throwing sessions satisfied the Dodgers that Buehler had recovered sufficiently. After Thursday’s rehab outing, the plan is for Buehler to return to Los Angeles and throw another bullpen session this weekend. He could rejoin the Dodgers’ rotation next week.“There was a lot of energy yesterday. Very encouraging,” Roberts said. “The last few days, he seems to have gotten over the hump.“It’s a possibility, yeah, (that he will rejoin the rotation next week). But I want to see the three (innings) first.”ALSOKemp’s appeal of his one-game suspension was heard by conference call on Monday. Wednesday, he was told the appeal had been denied and he served the suspension. Rangers catcher Robinson Chirinos did not appeal his matching suspension and served it almost two weeks ago. The disciplined stemmed from a shoving match after a collision at the plate on June 13.Roberts said he expects Taylor to be back in the starting lineup on Thursday against the Chicago Cubs. Taylor has not been in the starting lineup since leaving last Wednesday’s game in Chicago with a left hamstring injury. He has gone 3 for 5 with a double, home run and three RBIs as a pinch-hitter.UP NEXTCubs (LHP Jose Quintana, 6-6, 4.26 ERA) at Dodgers (LHP Clayton Kershaw, 1-4, 2.94 ERA), Thursday, 12:10 p.m., SportsNet LA (where available), MLB Network (out of market only)Related Articles Dodgers bench slumping Cody Bellinger for a day Whicker: Dustin May yet another example of the Dodgers’ eye for pitching Dodgers’ Justin Turner looking rejuvenated on defense Dodgers’ hot-hitting Corey Seager leaves game with back injury LOS ANGELES — One of the TVs in the Dodgers’ clubhouse was inexplicably tuned to “Duck Dynasty” on Wednesday afternoon. The others were showing a panel discussion on MLB Network.Former Yankees manager Joe Girardi and other talking heads were discussing the possibility of Baltimore Orioles shortstop Manny Machado being traded to the Dodgers – speculation fueled by a USA Today story pegging the Dodgers as “clear-front favorites” to land the biggest prize at this year’s non-waiver trade deadline.At one point, a hypothetical Dodgers lineup featuring Machado was shown on the screen.“Dang, they bumped me all the way down to the 6-hole,” Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp blurted out, drawing laughter from the handful of teammates and media in the room. “Chris (Taylor), they benched you.” The trade-porn season has arrived.“I just think it’s noise,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said of the speculation and rumors that will increase over the next month. “Until something is concrete or finalized, I don’t really put too much effort or thought into it.”The Machado speculation began as soon as the Dodgers lost shortstop Corey Seager to Tommy John surgery in early May. Machado is headed to free agency next winter and is almost certain to be traded by the Orioles before the July 31 deadline.Sign up for our Inside the Dodgers newsletter. Be the best Dodger fan you can be by getting daily intel on your favorite team. Subscribe here.The Dodgers made a priority of getting – and staying – under the competitive-balance tax threshold this season (after blowing through it the previous five years) in order to reset the potential penalties in the future. That commitment could limit them at the trade deadline this year. At the same time, Taylor and Kiké Hernandez have filled in adequately at shortstop. Machado would be a significant upgrade offensively – but the Dodgers lead the majors in home runs and slugging percentage this month and the National League in OPS. They might be more interested in upgrading the bullpen or at second base rather than pay the price in prospects for a rental at shortstop, even one as good as Machado.“We talk about things. We’re always actually talking about our club and how we can upgrade and better our ballclub,” Roberts said. “There’s always talk around this time of year and that gets intensified. Myself personally, I don’t waste too much energy on it. Dodgers’ Dave Roberts says baseball’s unwritten rules ‘have changed, should change’